Saturday, March 4, 2017

Road trip to Kota Belud

Kota Belud is the home of the Bajau, Iranun and KadazanDusun people. This little town is about 75km from the city of Kota Kinabalu on the West Coast. Also known to be the Land of the Cowboys; Sabah's Bajau horsemen!  To my delight, I found endless of paddy fields here. I have to admit that I have to do a bit of climbing in between fences to get these shots but ohhh, so worth it!













A total change of scenery but so lovely; clear freshwater over a rocky riverbed.





We was on the hunt for a black sandy beach in Kota Belud.  Saw pictures in the Net and was just flabbergasted. Seems so unreal but we found it! Got lost quite a bit but somehow we drove through rocky roads and through some small villages and walla....the sea! I was quite afraid that the villagers might come after us for trespassing but they looked harmless. We parked our vehicle on the grass and got down to walk towards the sea...and to our amazement, the sand glittered as if there were bits of diamonds scattered all over and it was BLACK! Well...more of a dark grey but I was more than satisfied and happy. There was not a single soul on the beach. I danced on the sand and it was solid. I didn't get to leave footprints! Fascinating color, isn't it? The name is PANTAI EMAS.





This dead tree looks scary to me. Kinda like a scene in a horror movie. I imagined bats flying out once we approached it! Nahh...
Cute cows? I call Kota Belud, The Poop Town! Everywhere we drove we had to watch out for the poops, and the cows.  The cows walked and rested all over the place, even in the middle of the roads. I think I will not have chocolate lava cake for a loooooooong time!


A typical wooden home on stilts in Kota Belud.
I was so tempted to walk up to this house to see how it is like in the inside. Looked as though it had sunk into the ground. I peeped around the house and there was laundry hanging outside, so there were people living there. I so wanted to see the front door!

Kota Belud was fascinating. The simplicity of it is quite exciting. It houses one of the most scenic landscapes, excellent for photographers and road trip fans like myself. There are unexplored beaches around Kota Belud and I hope I will get to go back to visit more of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment