Friday, September 15, 2017

Sandakan

Sandakan, formerly known as Elopura, is the 2nd biggest town in the northeast coast of Sabah, Borneo. It is still a bustling port today. It is my favorite place for SEAFOOD!

I am featuring the famous Sim Sim H90 in this entry, my beloved place for dining. Just look at the gorgeous ocean and exotic water houses. Today, families still live in these houses. The unique part of walking to this restaurant is that you have to pass these homes (and yes, you are sure to peep inside when windows are wide open!). So much for privacy.
In one drop of water are found all the secrets of all the oceans; in one aspect of You are found all the aspects of existence (Kahlil Gibran)





Always be like water. Float in the times of pain or dance like waves along the wind which touches its surface (Santosh Kalwar)
My best-loved Sim Sim H90 is to the left.
Steamed fresh "swimming" fish!

Yao Mak (lettuce) cooked with fermented soya and chillies

Clams cooked in spicy style

Marinated salted fish....you would end up eating 2 bowls or rice with this in your menu

THIS is what I usually come for.... BABY LOBSTERS cooked in CHEEZEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!


The yummiest dish in the whole universe. I can die happy and contented now!

Sweet and spicy crabs

Salted egg calamari

In September 2017, I was most privileged to meet Chef Thomas Yong, owner and chef of Sim Sim H90. He had won the Best Chef for Seafood in the recent Sandakan Food Festival 2017. Chef Thomas was most happy to take a picture with us in his full attire and his trophy. Very friendly and warm guy.

When I am in Sandakan, I would call for a dinner with my ex-students to have a relaxed evening together and just to catch up. It is not often that I get to meet them or to visit Sandakan, but  when I do, I love to have good food with good company. That is how I enjoy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment