Thursday, March 22, 2018

Kampung Bukit Tinggi & Janda Baik

One rainy weekend we decided to hit nearby towns just in case it poured and we were not too far away from home. So we decided to take a look at Kampung Bukit Tinggi which was about an hour's drive. As we started off without breakfast, we were starving when we reached the foothills. I was surprised to find a whole row of seafood restaurants there in which they served delicious like frogs. We chose this restaurant as it was pretty crowded at that time. The food was good. Either that or we were just half-starved!
 Curry noodles
 Choy Sum
 Steamed kampung chicken
 Chilli sauce
Fried wonton and noodles
 Fed the kitties and Doggie came too!
 I loved this shot. Kitty was like, "Ya ya ya, go ahead and eat my food, peasant!"
 Red bananas
 Fruit stall
 Fruit stall
 Up the hill
 Stopped by Nam Fong for coffee and toasts.
 Great coffee
Was surprised to see the house opposite the road from Nam Fong. Its door was wide opened. People are so comfortable in this little town that security isn't an issue at all.
 Toasts


 Backlanes

 Fresh snake beans
 Went berserk over fresh vegetables

 Coniferous Forest at Bukit Tinggi








Beautiful little camping site, this Coniferous Forest. There were wooden tables and stools already ready for visitors. However this place seemed abandoned. It was obvious that nobody is maintaining it any more. What a waste.
Riverside, Janda Baik.
There are ready campsites for visitors to rent along this river. Pretty cool actually as this river is very long so there is plenty of room for everyone.

Janda Baik literally means Good Widow. I have read a few folklores about Janda Baik and this is my favorite one. A couple had a misunderstanding and went on their separate ways. After some time they met again and decided to give another shot to living together as husband and wife. So the name Janda Baik actually signifies "a happy reunion".

Janda Baik was a huge headache. I drove around twice only to realize that this village has no 'downtown'. I noticed 2 rows of shophouses at a T-junction and I thought that couldn't be 'downtown'. Well, it was! However, Janda Baik is filled with little homestays and motels all over. I guess people who love nature will love living here for a few nights, just to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. I, on the other hand, would be scared of mosquitos!






 Kopi n Kraf, Janda Baik. Could not resist in stopping by this unique looking coffee shop.





 BBQ pit at Kopi n Kraf

 This place is located at the bottom of Kopi n Kraf. It should be for rent.

BBQ Chan, Bukit Tinggi

This restaurant, I read, was suppose to be famous for its BBQ Lamb. They have a great omelette tofu dish and I wanted stir fired watercress for my veggie. The food is lovely.


 Omelette tofu

 Watercress
 BBQ lamb
This trip's main objective was to hunt for my favorite soya sauce - Kicap Bentong. I first found this soya sauce in a soya factory in Bentong itself and was in love ever since. Its aroma is simple tantalizing. For a non-crazed soya person, I totally am crazy about Kicap Bentong!

No comments:

Post a Comment