Monday, November 19, 2018

Dutch Hill

Kampung Tanjong Keramat, Kuala Selangor
This hill is called Dutch Hill @ Bukit Belanda in Kuala Selangor. It is also known as the Tanjong Keramat Fort. The Dutch used to call it Fort Utrecht back in 1780s. This fort was originally built by Sultan Ibrahim, the 2nd Sultan of Selangor. The Dutch took over in 1784.

We met some local folks when we ascend the flight of stairs. I wanted to see for myself if there were any ruins on top of the hill from the old days. The group of local folks were discussing how to clean this hill up and I literally begged them to please clean it up as I am sure tourists would be happy to visit this historical site, just like myself. 

The place is just a huge mess right now. I had to walk over tree branches and overgrown bushes. I prayed that snakes were all asleep! I wouldn't know what I would do if I met a friendly one. Of course, I was a huge feast to the mozzies there. The locals told me that there were cannons on top of the hill but I couldn't find a pathway to walk up. Plus, the mozzies teamed up and chased me down the hill! 

What a sad find. They have the signboards all up, in several languages too and yet, nobody maintained such a pretty place. If the hill is finally cleaned up, it would be a great view of the town from up there.

 







No comments:

Post a Comment