Sunday, November 4, 2018

Sam Poh Tong

This is Sam Poh Tong. A natural limestone cave of Triple Gems. Located in Ipoh, it is the biggest cave temple in the country. I remember visiting this cave temple when I was a little girl and coming back here after 30 years, it seemed a very small cave temple today. The place is not well maintained, unfortunately. I do believe that during Chinese New Year and other Chinese festivals, this place might be visited more often. I spoke to the lady caretaker and asked her why people in Ipoh do not speak the Hakka dialect any more. When I was little, I was always fascinated to listen to folks speaking in Hakka. Today, everyone speak Cantonese. Long lost the authentic Ipoh that I once knew.

According to legend, Sam Poh Tong was discovered in 1890 by a monk from China who was passing through Ipoh. He decided to make this cave temple his meditation home. He lived here for 20 years until his death.







This is the inner courtyard where there are plentiful of tortoises. They symbolize longevity.







Sam Poh Tong Temple
Gunung Rapat
Ipoh

No comments:

Post a Comment