Sunday, February 12, 2023

Barber Battle

Moon texted, “Jo, I’m competing in this event. Will you come support me?” Sure!!!

Moon is my hairstylist whom I have known for a good 10 years in KL. She has cut, colored and put up with my grumpiness for all these years. Of course, I’ll support her for a day. 

So there we were, at the Curve by 10.30AM on a Saturday morning. I must say, this competition has taught me a few things. I actually looked up the definition of ‘barber’. It says ‘one who cuts men’s hair’. A woman barber is called ‘Barberess’!!!

Moon was the only female barber in the competition of 49 contestants. Surprisingly, the only Chinese gal too. 

This was the most UNORGANIZED event I have ever attended. It was grandly planned no doubt. The stage was beautifully laid out. The seats were nicely arranged for the contestants. However, the sound system SUCKED big time. I could not hear a single word pronounced. 

Moon was bumped off from Team #2 to Team #3 at the last minute; obviously pre-planning was not their strong quality.

The most important announcement ~ the announcement of the winners ~ were done so poorly. No proper script. No drum roll. Contestants were literally camping around the stage area. Even when the winners were announced, nobody knew what was happening. 

I was flabbergasted as to how it was presented to the audience. Cmon, a lot of people are from out of town. They spend a whole day at the event. Everybody was tired. At least, give everybody a nice respectable ending to the day. 

Tyler was her chosen model. The theme was Classics. 

The start!

Moon suddenly realized I was behind her!

The Judges were from Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia

The countdown

Begin!!!

The judges were clearly intrigued with Moon’s classic skills




Indonesian judge





Thai judge










The Barber and her Model


Team #3


Moon receiving her cert
Even this too, nothing was announced prior to cert giving. I suddenly heard Moon’s name so we ran to the stage area. ‘Forehead slap’


The day ended at 7PM 

Today was a super duper eye opening experience for me. I was upset and grumpy most of the time. Lighting was bad. Crowd was unkind. Could not hear a single word the MC was yelling throughout the day. 

But, I was extremely proud of Moon. She was gutsy and confident and cool and very well prepared. Well, that’s why she is MY HAIRSTYLIST!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment