Monday, September 4, 2023

BookXcess REXKL


The story of iconic REXKL started from 1947, before the Japanese occupation. Burned down in 1972, it was built again as a single-screen cinema in 1976, operated by Shaw Brothers. Another fire in 2002 ended its cinema days. It turned into a backpackers’ place in 2007 and walla, another fire broke out!
This nostalgic theatre was revived in 2019 as a space for events and exhibitions. 
Today, BookXcess occupies its top floor.

I did not like the trees in front of REXKL. Wished they would  cut them away or maintain them to be shorter. I know REXKL is super old but it did not need to be covered up like that. Looks so untidy and abandoned. 

I didn’t even know it was REXKL until I saw the BookXcess signage. Haiyaaaa!


Entrance








My favorite sign inside the bookstore!!!!!!!





















It is like a huge complicated maze of books up here. I believe people come here to take photos and / or to just have fun walking through the lorongs. Kind of a fun exercise if you explore every corner. 

But I must say, the first look at the theatre part, it was a WOW moment for me!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment