Friday, March 4, 2022

Pahang - Istana Lemuni

Istana Lemuni @ Lemuni Orchard Villa Resort
Janda Baik, Pahang

When I first read about Istana Lemuni cafe, I was fascinated with the landscape. 
Then I read about the history about this old Terengganu palace and was hooked. 
I wanted to see it for myself. 
Seeing that it is in the middle of nowhere, I checked on the roads. 
Reviews informed me that the roads were not that suitable for small cars.
When I made a reservation for lunch, I asked again about the roads. I was informed that the roads are now okay. So I trusted the people there and with a prayer, I drove to Kampung Chemperoh, Janda Baik.
Thankfully, as you can see, the roads have been tarred except for one small section.

This section was still very rough and if it rains continually, this part would flood instantly.
We are here!
Unfortunately, this was a rainy Sunday. I tried not to let the rain flushed my excited spirit down the drain! But, I prayed that the rain remained a drizzle throughout our lunch time.

Unique entrance



















We chose to have our lunch upstairs because of the rain.







Water is served using a Labu Sayong @ Earthern gourd

Kopi Tanak


There were 5 sets offered for lunch. I chose Set Pantai Timur.
Telur dadar - Omelette
Singgang Tenggiri

A traditional Malay dish. I am unsure whether this dish hailed from Terengganu or Kelantan but I have read that, Kunyit (Tumeric) is used in this dish where as Lengkuas (Galangal) is used in Kelantan. Nevertheless, this is supposedly a healthy dish because it contains no oil.
Ikan pekasam, Budu and Sambal tempoyak

Ikan pekasam is fermented fish. Fish are marinated with rice, flour, salt, tamarind and vinegar. Usually fried and eaten with chilli and sauces.

Budu is actually a mixture of anchovies and salt, and then ferment together for 140 to 200 days. Guess it is a fermented fish sauce from traditional Malaysia.

Sambal tempoyak is a mixture of fermented durian, ground belacan (shrimp paste) and chili pepper.

Daging and Rebung gulai kawah

Gulai kawah style of cooking is curry cooked in a cauldron or a huge wok over open flames.
Ayam goreng kunyit
Kerabu ulam

View from first floor
Istana Lemuni, a traditional and historical Terengganu palace in the 1800s.
These 3 palaces (replicas, of course) were used to house the Sultan of Terengganu, his wife and children.
The name Lemuni is the name of a herb that is used traditionally in a confinement dish for new mothers in Northern Malay communities.











Peeking into the kitchen from upstairs!








Counter on the ground floor



Traditional swing
View of the cafe











Behind the cafe
This is probably where they bakar the meat!
A traditional well





Bye Lemuni!
Hopefully the next time I visited you would have expanded the place and make it more beautiful.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment