Sunday, December 13, 2009

Star of Bethlehem

12 days to Christmas; I can't help but smile. My favourite time of the year. Loved white Christmases, which I had the priviledge of experiencing a few. Loved going beserk in the snow. Love hot chocolates. Love romantice fireplaces. Love is always in the air...
Star of Bethelehem makes me go "awww" all the time, especially during Christmastime. One can't help but to remember the story of the birth of Christ. Our hope for all...
These star-shaped flowers, native to Europe & the Middle East, not only symblizes hope but its essence is actually used to calm one who has experienced shock or trauma. It heals...soothes...one's heart and mind. Perfect, isn't it?
The star in the sky...illuminating all below...for its light is the sign that love will guide you home...
One of the stars of my life...
I met Dorothy in 1992 when I was a sophomore in college. My pastor came to me one day, about a week before Thanksgiving, and asked if I was interested to spend Thanksgiving with a lonely old lady who was in need of some company. Sure! With a couple of friends, we went to Dorothy's cosy little house. The minute I shook her hand and saw her beaming smile, I was hooked. I knew this friendship would be lasting one; and indeed it was. She was a fantastic cook. Yupp...I ate my first pumpkin pie at her place! I spent every Thanksgiving and Christmas at her place from then on. I remember during weekends, I would help her rake the leaves in her garden. Took her grocery shopping. We spent a lot of time together. The day I left Oklahoma was one of the saddest times of my life. I didn't allow her to go to the airport to see me off; I had spent an afternoon with her the day before. Had my share of goodbye kisses and buckets of tears! We promise to write to each other. And she kept her promise. She wrote every month without fail and I reciprocated. Gradually she wrote less and less as her eyes became weak but I kept on writing for I knew she had her grandson to read to her. The day came when I received an email from her grandson, informing me that Dorothy has passed away.

If tears could build a stairway and memories were a lane, I'd walk all the way to Heaven to bring you home again...

I was very grateful that I was informed. I couldn't go to the funeral but I got someone to attend on my behalf. Nevetheless, it didn't matter to me because I knew I had spent everlasting moments with Dorothy.

If I could reach up and hold a star for every time you made me smile, the entire evening sky would be in the palm of my hand. (Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment