Friday, February 7, 2020

Thaipusam Chariot Walk 2020

Thaipusam is a Hindu festival dedicated to the Lord Murugan. It is a day of prayers and penance. It is celebrated by the Tamil community on the full moon of the Tamil month of Thai (January/February).

This is the Silver Chariot lighted with cheer waiting to start its procession from Sri Maha Mariamman Temple at Jalan Tun HS Lee, near Petaling Street, on 6 February 2020. It was raining at first but we were grateful that the rain stopped just before the procession started at around 10.15 PM.  The area was already crowded when we arrived at about 9.30 PM.

Sri Maha Mariamman Temple





Kids carrying milk pots all the way to Batu Caves




Crossing Jalan Sultan




Totally drenched in sweat


Happy to be able to glanced at the twin towers while walking
My first bottle of water



Nice showcase of sport cars


Food and drinks are plentiful. Organizers ensured that people who are walking the long distance walk was fed well. There were cold drinks, hot drinks, bottled drinks and packet drinks. Prepared food that were available were nasi lemak, meehoon, sweet cakes, buns, fruits and bread. There were also food trucks who supplied cooked food like rice and curry, putu mayam and dhal, and many others. We just did not stop at all trucks to see what they were serving.
Hot Nescafe 


Jalan Raja Laut walking into Jalan Ipon and coming out to Jalan Kuching. 
The longest stretch of road ever.


Toilet break




Putu mayam and dhal
The most decent selfie of myself!
An old temple at Sentul
KLPac


Almoooooooooooooooost reaching Batu Caves



Sugar cane drink stop
This 30-minute walk between the Sugar cane stall and Batu Caves was the longest and the most challenging 30 minutes for me. It was a mixture of "God, I am sooo exhausted" + "I have to finish this" + "I can't feel my butt or my toes" + "I can do this"
When Batu Caves was about 10 feet away, I felt like I saw Heaven in front of my eyes!!!



I made it! It took 7 hours from Petaling Street to Batu Caves with one toilet break and a few drink and snack stops. This walk has certainly taught me faith and endurance.
The beautiful and amazing Batu Caves










No comments:

Post a Comment