Wednesday, July 15, 2020

The Adventures of Tintin in Mantin

Welcome to Mantin, an old sleepy Hakka village in Negeri Sembilan.
I was fascinated with Mantin because of its Kampung Hakka and its history. Little did I know, something else caught my eye. The street art of the Adventures of Tintin! 

I am honored to introduce to you Kweh Zi Jian, a young and talented local artist who was responsible in beautifying Mantin.  Born in 1993 and graduated from Universiti Malaysia Kelantan with an animation degree, Zi Jian goes by the name 'Xie Xin' in the Art World. His passion is in Calligraphy and Mural Painting, and is currently a full time artist.

I was most impressed with Zi Jian's work in Mantin. The only problem for me was I had to hunt for his work all over Mantin town. The first time I was in Mantin, I found 4 paintings. When I got home and read up some more, I knew there were more paintings. So I went back last weekend. Found another 2; one was in the drain under some stairs and one was between 2 buildings, on a window!

Still not very satisfied, I searched for more news about Mantin town. Found the artist's name! Searched for him on social media and left messages everywhere. Finally, he replied. I was sooooooo happy. So happy that I had an opportunity to chat with this young man but I found out I had missed 2 more of his paintings! Arrgghhhhh. I need to go back to Mantin soon to hunt for those remaining 2. Still, I thought I did pretty well in getting the majority of Zi Jian's paintings, especially the Tintin who was under the stairs, in the drain!!!

Zi Jian's main interest is painting areas that are bare, rundown or abandoned. I guess this would actually inspire him to work his creativity to the fullest to beautify a dull-looking area. He took only a week to finish painting in Mantin in year 2017. I cannot wait to see more of his murals around Malaysia in the near future. A brilliant young man we have in our midst.

You may view more of Zi Jian's work via his Facebook and Instagram.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kwehzijian/?hl=en
Facebook (Studio): https://www.facebook.com/Chuangartstudio/

Enjoy Zi Jian's paintings!


























No comments:

Post a Comment