Sunday, October 22, 2023

Hao Sy Phuong (Hẻm Hào Sỹ Phường)

Hao Sy Phuong (Hẻm Hào Sỹ Phường)

Hao Si Phuong Alley

First established between the Chinese community and the French back in 1910s. One of Saigon’s oldest alleys in Chinatown.

I was nervous when I visited but I reeeeeeeally wanted to see for myself. Hope I won’t get scolded or “broomed” away!
This alley is home to families, yes still. I know I wouldn’t like it too if tourists come walking around and peering into my home. 

I was overjoyed to see a Bubble Milk Tea stall right at the end. That way I could ask permission to walk around, upstairs too, and have a nice cold bubble tea. 

I saw a young boy interviewing an aunty sitting in her house. She was folding Buddhist prayer papers. So I stood on the top floor and listened. They were speaking in Cantonese. 

Auntie said ~ life was hard back then. One of these rooms and there were 7 in her family living there. They came from Hong Kong. 

I saw an uncle eating a bowl of rice in front of his home, on a chair, giving us the warning eye!

There was another auntie selling drinks upstairs, on the ground. 

I saw an Art Studio there but there were people talking inside so I didn’t dare interrupt. I hope they don’t demolish this place if nobody lives here anymore. This place would make a fine museum or art place. 


















 

No comments:

Post a Comment